Are you unable to enjoy a good night’s sleep without taking some medication? Are you searching for a way to upgrade the quality of your sleep so that you can wake up feeling refreshed and rested? Look no more because we have the perfect solution for you.
Sleep masks are a practical way to enjoy a deep sleep without any side effects or using any electronic devices. They are specifically designed to help relieve tiredness and feelings of pressure after a hectic day. Also known as blindfolds or eye covers, sleep masks help you travel in comfort, enjoy a good night’s sleep, and rest your tired eyes.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Makes Sleep Masks Useful?
- 2 10 Best Sleep Mask Reviews 2019
- 2.1 Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask
- 2.2 The Nidra Deep Rest Sleep Mask
- 2.3 Sleep Master Sleep Mask
- 2.4 Imak Eye Pillow
- 2.5 Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask
- 2.6 Jersey Slumber Silk Sleep Mask
- 2.7 Sleep Mask by Bedtime Bliss
- 2.8 The 40 Blinks Eye Mask
- 2.9 YIVIEW Sleep Mask
- 2.10 Sleeping Eye Mask from Simple Health
What Makes Sleep Masks Useful?
The Melatonin hormone in the body regulates the 24-hour cycle and recovery phases during sleep. The human body requires adequate darkness for the production of this hormone because light can interfere with its creation. Even the lights produced by laptops, cable box, or digital alarm clock can cause a disturbance. The best sleeping masks will not only increase melatonin levels it will also increase REM sleep. They are particularly helpful when you are traveling because you cannot control the amount of light in trains or on airplanes. They also come in handy if your partner wants to read a book or watch TV or if you want to sleep in and your bedroom curtains do not block out the light completely. Sleep masks are beneficial because:
- They help to reduce swelling and relieve puffy eyes
- They provide tremendous relief from a painful migraine headache
- They help in relieving sinus pressure and painful water retention
- Sleep masks block light ensuring a deep sleep
- They are perfect for a relaxing sleep while traveling
- Sleep masks help to achieve REM stage of sleep that is responsible for healing and restoration
- Sleep masks are a natural way for the human body to ensure the production of melatonin
10 Best Sleep Mask Comparison
|Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask||Mulberry silk||8.8 x 4.3 x 0.2 inches||Fully adjustable||Check Price|
|The Nidra Deep Rest Sleep Mask||Breathable material||7.5 x 3.5 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|Sleep Master Sleep Mask||Satin with cotton interior||26.5 x 4.5 x 0.4 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|Imak Eye Pillow||Cotton||1 x 5.5 x 10 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask||Cotton||4 x 10 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|Jersey Slumber Silk Sleep Mask||Silk||8 x 4 x 0.2 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|Sleep Mask by Bedtime Bliss||Bamboo and Cotton||9.4 x 2.8 x 0.2 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|40 Blinks Eye Mask||100% polyester interlock & 100% polyurethane foam||11 x 7 x 3 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|YIVIEW Sleep Mask||Breathable material||9 x 3.5 x 1.2 inches||Adjustable||Check Price|
|Sleeping Eye Mask by Simple Health||Triple-weave silk fabric||9.5 x 3.6 x 1.4 inches||Fully adjustable||Check Price|
Considerations Before Buying a Sleep Mask
Before you decide on the type of sleep mask that suits your requirement you should consider your skin tone, the amount of light present in your bedroom, and the amount of travel that you do in addition to the following factors:
Sleep masks are made of different materials such as silk, cotton, memory foam, polyester while some have gels and beads in them. It is vital that a sleep mask does not cause any irritation.
It is best to find a sleep mask that is washable to maintain personal hygiene.
A good sleep mask is one that blocks out 100% light. Find something that fits perfectly while blocking the light.
When you are choosing a sleep mask keep in mind the position that you prefer to sleep because different sleep masks are recommended for different positions.
- Side effects of sleep masks
While there are no significant adverse effects of sleep masks, you can experience some problems if your mask is too tight or is not clean. These problems include eye infection, irritated skin, and ingrown eyelashes.
In the following guide, we share the pros and cons of the best sleep masks to help you better evaluate your options:
10 Best Sleep Mask Reviews 2019
Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask
Claiming the top position on our list is the Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask because this eye mask is made from high-quality 19 momme Mulberry silk which is super-smooth and super-soft offering cool, breathable relaxation for your eyes which is similar to relaxation offered at top world spas. The adjustable, elastic straps are thin and small. These straps are so comfortable that you will not feel them on your head when you lay down to sleep. This mask is a useful addition to your travel accessories. Everyone appreciates the comfort and beauty of this sleep mask. The pros and cons of this fantastic sleep mask are:
- The material is 100% Mulberry silk which is very smooth and has a luminous sheen
- The comfortable, adjustable straps can fit everyone easily
- There is no Velcro in the straps which could tangle in your hair and cause irritation
- The plastic adjuster is at the back and not at the temples which could be a cause of irritation for side sleepers
- The natural silk is also hypoallergenic which is ideal for people with sensitive skin
- Suitable for migraine headaches, dry-eye sufferers, and insomnia
- The silk material does not absorb skin creams or lotions so you can put on night creams or moisturizers on your face before sleeping
- Perfect as a gift for Christmas or as a travel accessory
- Fit may loosen over time
- Light may seep through
The Nidra Deep Rest Sleep Mask
The next sleep mask on our top ten lists is the Nidra Deep Rest Sleep Mask. It is one of the best sleep masks available as it leaves you better rested. The best thing about this mask is that it comes with a money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with this mask, you can get a full refund within 30 days. These masks are designed with round cups that effectively curve away from the eyelids providing you with rub-free comfort. It perfectly contours to the face effectively blocking out the light so that you can enjoy an interrupted sleep.
- Lightweight sleep mask made from breathable material that is comfortable to wear even in summers
- The thin foam insert and polyester interlock provides a snug fit
- Completely blocks out the light enabling you to enjoy a deep anywhere – on a flight, in bed, or while camping
- This sleep mask uses unique advanced ergonomics which allows it to contour to the face
- Deeply molded cups do not compress your eyelashes, eyelids, or face while you sleep
- People who have a broad face may find it a little tight
- Restless sleepers report that this lightweight mask may get knocked off during the night
- Fragile-not suitable for everyday use
Sleep Master Sleep Mask
The Sleep Master Sleep Mask makes it to our top ten lists due to its unmatched quality for providing a deep sleep by blocking not only light but also sound. It is unique larger than usual design covers the ears as well for sound muffling. The broader straps do not fray or wear out after a few washes. This sleep mask is constructed from satin that is soft and comfortable. It is ideal for people who have insomnia as it eliminates light and sound.
- Lightweight and durable
- The Velcro at the back makes sure that it is a perfect fit for everyone
- Breathable material relaxes your eyes
- Shuts out the world by blocking light and sound helping you to enjoy a deep, refreshing sleep
- The interior is made from soft cotton
- Made with superior materials to last a long time
- It might become a bit uncomfortable in hot bedrooms
- Doesn’t muffle sounds as the company advertises
Imak Eye Pillow
We love this sleep mask from Imak as it not only soothes puffy and tired eyes, it also provides cooling relief. This sleep mask blocks out the light as it contours to the face. The Imak eye pillow also has ergo beads inside which provide gentle eye massage.
- Made from breathable cotton lycra material
- Unique stitching eases the pressure on the eyes
- Perfect for relief from sinus pain, headaches, eyestrain, and migraine headaches
- Freezable to provide cool relief
- The ergo bead filling does not become stiff when you freeze
- Innovative cross stitching provides perfect space for the eyes to relax
- It might pick up smells when you place it in the freezer
- Non-adjustable strap
Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask
The Lewis N. Clark Comfort Eye Mask is perfect for a restful sleep as it provides total darkness whether you are traveling or are at home. Made from breathable fabric, this sleep mask with its soft cotton padding offers soothing comfort for your eyes. It has been found to be the best sleep mask for travel by many satisfied customers.
- Constructed with thin, breathable fabric
- Rip-stop nylon completely blocks light
- Soft cotton padding provides extra comfort
- Adjustable straps make sure that they fit both men and women
- The buckle instead of Velcro at the back ensures that your hair stays tangle-free
- The ridge at the bottom ensures that no light may seep through
- Side sleepers might find them irritating due to the buckle
Jersey Slumber Silk Sleep Mask
Deep sleep can help improve your energy levels, cognitive functions, and mood. If you can’t enjoy a full night’s sleep due to light, then we highly recommend the Jersey Slumber Sleep Mask. This mask is constructed from 100% high-quality silk which is naturally soothing and breathable. The distinctive design of Jersey Slumber provides rub-minimizing comfort keeping your eyes shielded from light while applying minimal pressure on your eyes and face when you sleep.
- The adjustable strap provides a perfect fit for everyone
- The mask will not fall off no matter which position you sleep in
- Lightweight, completely contours the face
- Blocks unwanted light to increase REM sleep
- Hypoallergenic silk materials allow healthy oxygen to pass through
- Best for people suffering from migraine headaches and insomnia
- Excellent for daytime and nighttime use
- Some people find that the strap is too low which could become uncomfortable.
- Not suitable for all sleeping positions
Sleep Mask by Bedtime Bliss
The next sleep mask on our list is the Sleep Mask by Bedtime Bliss. Whether you want to block out the light from the sun or street lamps, this is the best sleep mask that you can buy. This soft and comfortable mask is made from cotton and bamboo and contours to the shape of your face for a perfectly blissful sleep.
- Lightweight and contoured
- Comes with earplugs and carry pouch
- Perfect for both sexes
- Won’t smudge eye make-up
- Doesn’t make your eyes dry out
- Available in trendy purple color to effectively block out the light and help you relax
- Ideal sleep mask for travel and meditation
- Hand washable
- Some people find it too broad especially over the nose allowing a little light to pass through
- The side straps might cause irritation to the top of the ears
The 40 Blinks Eye Mask is on our list as it helps you achieve a restorative and restful sleep no matter where you are. In college dormitories, on flights or at home this sleep mask promises to provide a better quality of sleep. This mask is designed with the sole purpose to provide you the ultimate in comfort. It entirely blocks the light, hugs the face without putting any pressure, and the adjustable straps make sure that they fit snugly. There is ample space between the mask and the eyes due to the deeply molded cups allowing you to blink freely.
- Durable, flexible, and breathable
- 5 inch deep eye cups deflect any pressure on the eyes, allowing you to blink your eyes freely
- Protects to lash extensions while sleeping
- Hand washable and hypoallergenic
- Helps people who have insomnia and other sleep disorders
- This mask is ultra-light as it weighs only .7 oz.
- Best sleep mask for people who work double shifts and like to take a nap between their shifts or for people who work night shifts and have to catch up on their sleep during the daytime
- The wide side straps are not soft
- Side sleepers may have an issue with the concave shape of the eyecups
YIVIEW Sleep Mask
The YIVIEW Sleep Mask makes it to our list because it is a contoured eye mask that is also lightweight and comfortable. It is highly durable while the high-quality elastic strap will not snap your hair.
- Soft and skin-friendly
- Available in three vibrant colors – blue, black, and purple
- The unique contoured design which allows more space around the eyes enabling you to move over eyelids freely
- Breathable and light material
- Will not smudge your eye makeup
- Ideal for both naps and long sleep
- Fully refundable, 12-month guarantee
- Pack of three means that you can use them with your companion
- Some people do not find these masks durable
- The strap is a little loose
Sleeping Eye Mask from Simple Health
This sleep mask from Simple Health is on our top ten lists because it is designed with unique triple-weave silk fabric which makes it one of the most comfortable sleep masks that provides full value for money. It has a unique gel insert which can be either used cold by placing in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or boiled for 10 minutes to provide immediate relief from stress.
- Constructed from form-fitting contoured material
- Best sleep mask for travel
- The adjustable elastic strap provides a comfortable fit
- Provides a migraine, insomnia, and stress relief
- Soft, breathable fabric
- Uses gel insert for cold and warm therapy to release up to 92% of body stress
- Ideal for both kids and adults
- Comes with carrying pouch and ear plugs
- Lifetime guarantee
- Some people find that it does not entirely block out the light
- Not for side sleepers
- Rather small