In order to not spend a lot of money on a new bed, it is essential to know the best time to buy a mattress. It is important to know when to hunt for quality mattresses since they do not come cheap. The procedure of buying a mattress is quite comprehensive; however, if the time is taken to do some in-depth research, a reasonable deal could be found which will save a lot of money. One may become a victim of a large number of health issues because of uncomfortable sleeping surfaces which may cause a restless night. So, if you’re planning to change your mattress, know the best time to buy a mattress so that you can get a good deal!
Table of Contents
What to Know Before Buying a New Mattress
- The first thing to know is the best time to buy a mattress. Signs such as waking up with aches and pains and not being reinvigorating after waking up because one is too restless are signs of an old mattress. When signs of being worn and sagging spots show in the center or at the sides of the mattress, it should be understood that its lifespan is coming to an end.
- Expensive mattresses are not always superior in terms of quality. Mattresses should feel comfy, and one should not be in constant worry of having a restless sleep. Similarly, one should also not worry about constantly moving around in bed so as to not ruin the bed due to its high cost.
- The budget, the size of the mattress, health concerns such as arthritis, back pain, sleep apnea, allergies, etc. and personal needs need to be taken into consideration before buying a mattress that is suitable.
- Before purchasing a mattress, it is essential to lay down on it in the position that one sleeps in for at least fifteen minutes to judge its level of comfort.
Signs that You Need a New Mattress
- A new mattress needs to be considered when the old mattress is over eight years old. Most mattresses which have warranties for 8 years cover springs and workmanship, and not the comfort of the mattress overall.
- Due to tossing and turning restlessly, one wakes up and does not feel rested or feels tired and heavy-eyed throughout the day. During this tossing and turning period, the body is trying to find a cozy, comfy sleeping position which does not exist.
- The ability to provide proper support is lost by an old mattress over a period of time. This, in turn, results in the comfort zone being compressed down, and thus, it would feel as if you are directly sleeping on the springs. As a result, a gradual pain would develop in the neck, shoulders, and back of the body. This further provides evidence that the mattress has the wrong firmness for the body.
- Another indication of needing a new mattress is that other places such as another room or a sofa feel more comfortable to sleep in. Ideally, a mattress should be supportive and comfortable at the same time to give the body some relaxation and rest.
- Another sign of a new mattress is when the comfort, support, and shape of the mattress is affected due to worn out or broken box springs. Even new mattresses might sag from the middle due to a similar frame without a center support.
- You need to inspect your bed if you feel pain in joints, muscles, or the back to check for signs of sagging or body impressions on the mattress. Sagging and weak resiliency occurs when the springs break down whereas when the polyester fiber, foam, and felt compresses over a period of time, impressions occur. This, in turn, results in increased pain, especially in the lower back area.
- Allergies may also be triggered at night, and this must be taken as an indication of buying a new mattress. Mattresses and beddings are embedded with dust mites which are one of the leading causes of allergens. These dust mites enjoy hibernating and multiplying in the cotton felt; a layer present in most spring mattresses.
The Best Time to Buy a Mattress
The best time to buy a mattress is when you need one; however, at times it is unfeasible because of the cost. Plus, it is difficult to find a mattress from a limited choice due to a limited budget. Only a few times a year, companies offer a deal to customers which may be favorable for them. The best time to buy a mattress, therefore, is when the companies offer such deals on national holidays like Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, Easter, Christmas, etc. On such occasions, both the business and customers enjoy equal benefits since the customers are home the whole day so they can relax in the new mattress while businesses can enjoy increased sales since they provide discounts, sales, and special offers throughout the holiday.
The most popular day for huge discounts is Black Friday, and people tend to overlook the mattress industry and the overall sleep industry and run towards the electronic industry.
In the spring season, new stocks and models of mattresses hit storeroom floors in order to make space for the newer mattresses which means that it could also be the best time to buy a mattress. This is the perfect time to look out for stock clear out sales with discounts lasting until space is made for the new mattresses in May. The lookout for such sales might be difficult since the mattress that one wants may not be supplied well, or if waited long, it might not be available anymore.
In the Autumn season, the inventory that has not be sold in the previous year would be sold at highly discounted prices. Lesser known brands adopt such strategies, and customers may overlook them for known brands; however, these brands are equally as good in quality or even better than the others. In both, the seasonal retailers are restocking, and the one mistake that they make is that they order more mattresses than they need. Thus, trucks go around different stores with mattresses at discounted prices in order to stop stores from having a loss.
End of the Year Sales
At the end of a financial year, employees search through the inventory and find some defective or damaged mattresses such as old models, showroom models, etc. These mattresses are sold when the store reopens with extremely low prices. This sale often happens around late September. Thus, the best time to buy a mattress is in September. In the January white sales, the prices are expected to be low as great deals are launched on house products such as mattresses.
Store Opening Discounts
Customers always need to keep an eye out for a new store opening specials, store closings, and moving sales. These can take place at about any time of the year. Such sales have brief and momentary ostentatious advertising on television, online, and in newspaper circulars.
On Cyber Monday, all online sales sites and not just tech companies, bring up their products with heavy discounts. Stores like Amazon, Walmart, and Target, start distributing discounts and coupons, and some even offer free shipping. Mattresses prices of different brands can be compared. However, in order to look out for Cyber Monday, one should be subscribed to newsletters of different sites for such deals.
Many large and small manufacturers have established an online platform so that they are easily available to all their customers. Prices are lower online as compared to the brick and mortar locale. The reason behind this is that companies are competing with global distributors online whereas, in the brick and mortar venue, shops compete with the local distributors. It is unlikely for a customer to travel to another country or even a city to buy a mattress. Online shopping makes it easier to order it from another part of the world and get it delivered directly to his or her doorstep. This saves money as well as time.
Conclusively, when buying a new mattress one should not rush to buy one. Your needs should be determined first, and the right opportunity of buying a mattress should be considered. Research should be done through online sites, and newsletters and comparisons between different mattresses brands should be done to buy a comfortable and supportive mattress.